A ROI unmeasured


Digital advertising is built on the story of performance measurement and ROI. Be it the CPM, CPC, CPL, CPA…and the other entire sundry C’s, the story is about everything being able to be tracked and measured.

It is also about remarketing, behavioural targeting, etc… but frankly, is digital advertising all about WYSIWYG of the data that is shown in the ad-serving tool? I think not. While there needs to be a bias towards the numbers, there is also an untold story of a banner ad being effective but not captured in the tool.

Few weeks back, I was looking for purchasing a formal pair of shoes. I checked few online stores on different brands, and the prices and offers they had. One particular site was Jabong.com. After visiting the website, I was shown remarketing ads of Jabong (the communication being of the Shoes :)) on various other websites that I was visiting. On spur of the moment, I decided to remove all the cookies in my system

I got busy and a week passed by. Then, I revisited the website Jabong.com, placed the order for a different brand from the one that I had earlier searched for and the sale was complete.

However, I’m sure there were a lot of things that made me go back to the same website (even though the brand I picked up had an ecommerce section on their company website)… Well, I did not click on their remarketing ads, as I was still in my preliminary stage of purchase… but however since their website message kept following me, it had a huge recall value. Here the classical purpose of advertising of brand recall played a far more important role

Since, I had visited the website after deleting the cookies, the data would show that a new user made a purchase of the first visit.. However the truth is far from that. The advertising was effective, but alas, just going through the data will never prove that.

PS: Jabong fulfillment is also amazing, got the delivery within 24 hours

Cheers

Santosh

Comments

Unknown said…
Thanks for the information
For free classified sites in India please visit
http://www.adaalo.com

Popular posts from this blog

Best Indian websites - 2007

10 Reasons Marketing Strategy should include the Internet

Teach Marketing, Yoda Can