Who do they think I am?

I was mentioning in my earlier post that almost 80% of the SMS messages I receive are SPAM. Looking at the propositions they are offering me through SMS, I think this is what they think I am – their Target Customer.

One Marketer thinks I am a pot-bellied person, and have some interesting schemes on buying slim belts for 0% interest on EMI’s

According to another Marketer, I am a rich person who invests in properties. The number of Apartments for sale, realty projects that is coming up in Delhi and NCR I have the details of those in my SMS inbox. Another Marketer too thinks the same way bombarding me with 12% return of Investment through mutual funds. How I wish I fell in this category

Yes, I am deeply into religion and devotion. With the service provider themselves sending me ‘exciting and interesting’ offers of VAS. Download a devotional song as ringtone or set it as a caller tune….else offers of Mobile wallpapers and screensavers of gods and goddesses is a daily norm

Some other marketer thinks otherwise about me. He believes I’d love to have photos of the top models in bikinis and swimsuits in my mobile phone

Also I’m a person who likes to indulge in a weekly sauna bath and visit SPA regularly.

Not to forget…they think that like most Indians I’m also crazy about Cricket…and would love to get any promo messages on Cricket/ cricketers

It is a known fact that for any database marketing, segmentation is very important. It is unfortunate that while the medium offers pin-point targeting, most marketers use the medium for carpet bombing. While me as a customer remains the same individual… each marketer think different about me, like the Elephant in the room... to each his own (version of me)

In the meantime can someone answer me - who am I really?

Santosh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Indian websites - 2007

10 Reasons Marketing Strategy should include the Internet

Teach Marketing, Yoda Can